Wednesday 21 February 2018

Heroic Warriors - He-Man

Of course, the first miniature to get some paint had to be He-Man, or should I say He-Men, as I painted two at once. The base model is sculpted in 30mm by Boris Woloszyn for Quest Miniatures. It comes with sword and shield, an empty sword scabbard for the back and a loose axe, like the toy, but is based on He-Man's appearance in the Filmation cartoon.

I converted both of my models. They were glued to their plastic bases and then I sculpted some tile texture over it with putty. The first was a minor conversion to be armed just with the powersword, like in the Filmation cartoon, without the shield or the empty scabbard. In the cartoon, the scabbard tended to appear when it was needed and disappear when it wasn't.



The second conversion was slightly more extensive. The powersword was cut off, and the hand was drilled, so the axe could be pinned into it. A new pommel was added under the hand with putty. In order to keep the powersword, I cut a plastic sword grip and crossbar from a sheathed sword from a Fireforge medieval men-at-arms set and glued it to the top of the empty scabbard, so my He-Man was complete.



Starting these was a bit daunting as it's been over a year since I painted anything in this scale and even then I wasn't too happy with it. But they came out well enough, I can look at them and have that feeling of familiarity and recognising the toys of my youth, so that's something. I think those two will be the only regular He-Man variants I will do (unless Quest Miniatures brings out another pose), but there is a wealth of "evil" clones to bring to life in miniature, such as Anti-Eternia He-Man, Negative He-Man, Slimemonster He-Man,...

4 comments:

  1. Lovely job on them bothe modifications and paint jobs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. Kieron did the axe conversion first and though we used different donor bits, the end results are very similar.

      Delete
  2. Looking excellent. I was going to ask why you'd left the scabbard off but your reasoning makes perfect sense, unlike continuity in the Filmation cartoon.

    I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, since I was doing two versions anyway, I figured I might as well fill the little hole in the back and do a "clean" figure without cumbersome empty scabbards. :)

      You should like the next ones I'm working on then, there's another conversion involved.

      Delete