Sunday 31 January 2021

Mumm-Ra & the Mutants - Mumm-Ra The Ever-Living

Mumm-Ra is the main antagonist of the ThunderCats and, like Skeletor, a powerful sorceror. The Thundercats are the only thing standing in his way of ruling Third Earth with evil. His normal appearance is that of a weakened, withered mummy. He serves as the undead focus for the Ancient Spirits of Evil—four god-like entities of nearly unlimited power, whose influence is limited to the Black Pyramids, so that they can only interact with the outside world through Mumm-Ra. They provide him with immortality, as granted through his sarcophagus in exchange for perpetual servitude. He can call upon them to alter his form by reciting the following incantation: "Ancient spirits of evil, transform this decayed form to Mumm-Ra, the Ever-Living!", transforming him into a tall, muscular fiend.


A recent DC comic miniseries saw the heroes and fiends of Third Earth crossover into Eternia, with Skeletor and Mumm-Ra joining forces and the Thundercats teaming up with the Heroic warriors to defeat them. Hence, I'm feeling there is enough basis to include them into this project and the powered up Mumm-Ra is the first one to join.


The model was a limited edition 'not' Mumm-Ra tribute, which was further converted by my friend Fancagne Didier to perfectly match the original cartoon's fiend's appearance. Being a big fellow, he has a larger base than the other figures.


To illustrate the size, and as I haven't painted any Thundercats yet, Mumm-Ra is show here with another great evil, King Hiss.

He may seem big, but that is the appropriate size as Mumm-Ra, in his Ever-Living form, was much larger than anyone else, which as a kid bothered me immensely since I had gotten used to MotU's everyone-comes-from-the-same-mould approach.


6 comments:

  1. Love it! He looks picture perfect to the cartoon character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried to match him as best I could. Pictures are a bit dark but you get the idea.

      Delete
  2. The cape is perfect. I went with the wings he came with, but I'm jealous of what you've done now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the cape looks great on him, I'm glad to have gone for that conversion.

      Delete
  3. I love how imposingly bulky he is... almost a Thanos-like figure next to smaller heroes. Your paint job is, of course, impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It takes some getting used to, but I have to keep reminding myself he's basically an undead mummy version of the Hulk.

      Delete