Saturday 14 November 2020

Evil Warriors - Scareglow, evil ghost of Skeletor

Scareglow is a skeletal ghost warrior who serves Skeletor. He seems to have a solid but translucent body with his bones emitting a strong glow in the dark, which can intimidate even the bravest opponents. He wears a long purple cape and carries a halberd. 



The model is slightly re-imagined to show a Scareglow as he might have looked in the Filmation style, which matches the bulk of my collection. 

Now this looks ominous...


One of the things that made the original Scareglow model stand out, besides looking badass, is that his body was made from glow in the dark plastic. While such a feature has no practical use for a miniatures collection, it still needed to be attempted. I purchased my first glow in the dark paints and used them on his body and halberd. It was interesting to discover the glow in the dark paint is transparant and goes over a regular paintjob. It only really works on a clear base colour, so I had to abandon my plans for glowing red eyes (as I wanted them to look red in normal light too). It worked okay on the light green halberd. The reason the glow looks a bit uneven in places is because the model is shaded and highlighted and the glow is less strong on the shaded parts. Still, as a gimmick done for fun, the result is satisfactory.


Skeletor summoned Scareglow from across space and time...

Careful, he looks dangerous...

I don't know where you came from, but you will find Eternia is no easy conquest!



7 comments:

  1. Neat. Yet another of the countless weird characters of Eternia... I'm impressed you got the glow in the dark paint to work. I tried it on a model ages ago, and I could barely get the most feeble glow out of it. Certainly nothing that would show up on camera. What brand did you use here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kilabitzzz Glow in the dark paint on ebay. The small sample size is more than enough really as you don't need much.

      Delete
    2. That's very helpful. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This looks great! I have never tried the glow in the dark acrylics, only acrylic inks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a first for me too, but it *had* to be attempted with this figure.

      Delete
    2. I agree, I'm unreasonably happy with it.

      Delete